Aug 14, 2013

Top Tips for Clearing Acne


There are two things that make me more self-conscious than anything else, weight gain and bad skin. When I'm feeling self-conscious everything seems more challenging so I work hard to keep my skin clear. I'm not promising this post will be anything groundbreaking, and a lot of tips were learnt from the queen of skincare herself, Caroline Hirons, but nevertheless I promised I'd share this with you guys. I haven't got around to filming the video version yet but that is coming soon. So here it goes, my top tips for keeping acne at bay.

Over-clean everything but your skin
I like to keep everything clean to prevent bacteria contamination on my skin. I wash things as often as I can, usually once a week. This includes; my brushes, hands (obviously multiple times a day), pillows and bedsheets, hair, sunglasses, iPhone, flannels (I use a fresh one daily), towels and anything else which I may come into contact with. Keeping hand sanitiser on you is great not only for your hands, but you can use a little with a tissue to clean your phone and sunglasses. I also hate washing my hair daily so whenever I'm working from home or lounging around the house I tie it up off my face to prevent the oils from my hair clogging my pores. 

It's what's on the inside that counts
What you eat has a massive effect on your skin. Fish oils work as an anti-imflamatory (a tip learnt from Caroline) so I take supplements everyday. I also try to include lots of salmon and tuna into my diet. Diets high in sugar can also worsen breakouts so trying not to eat lots of fast-food and processed meals. To summarise; eat your fish, eat your veggies and try to avoid macdonalds. 

Skipping dairy
I don't have anything against dairy, and if you don't have any kind of intolerance to it and you are not vegan there is not reason not to incorporate healthy dairy options like semi-skimmed milk and greek yoghurt into your diet. However, if you are struggling with acne and breakouts it is worth skipping dairy for two weeks as it can be a big cause of acne. If it makes a difference, that probably means dairy is causing you to break out. My favourite milk substitute is almond milk which I drink all the time at home, but if I'm out at coffee shop I'll drink soy milk. 

Get your 40 winks
During sleep is when your body recovers and heals itself. In order for you skin to heel  you need to be not only getting enough sleep but getting a good quality of sleep. Good sleep can also reduce stress which will help with stress-induced hormonal break outs. To get a good nips kip, make sure your bed is comfortable and your room is well ventilated and dark, avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening, shut off laptops before bed and if all else fails try supplements like valerian root or magnesium (a tip from reallyree).

Don't overuse products
I see so many people with problem skin using countless alcohol toners and salicylic acid serums and changing their cleanser every couple of weeks purely because it hasn't magically cured their acne. For many skincare products, your skin needs to get used to them being on your skin and breakouts can occur and constantly changing your skincare will only irritate your skin further. I like to find a routine that works for me and stick to it, without using too many products or fussing over my skin. Lots of products tends to break me out further. 

Hope you've found some of these tips useful, more to come in the video. 

Onna. 

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At August 14, 2013 , Blogger Maddy said...

So useful, thanks for your post and recommendations! x

Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD 

 
At August 14, 2013 , Blogger Kate A said...

Caroline is amazing!! She's like the skincare queen!

http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
x

 
At August 14, 2013 , Blogger Kayla-Joleen said...

Bad skin makes me feel so unconfident! Nice post :)

www.redlipstickandlace.blogspot.com

 
At August 14, 2013 , Blogger Vanessa Buttino said...

You know what I found really worked for me? Washing my face with COLD water instead of warm or hot. I'm happy that you mentioned staying away from dairy because every time I eat ice cream or cheese, I'll get a whopping spot the very next day. It's *that* immediate :(

 
At August 14, 2013 , Blogger Sylvie said...

thanks for this post! i realise i have a lot more spots/acne on the side of my face which i sleep one - now i know why! x

 
At August 15, 2013 , Blogger Sabrina said...

:)

 
At September 13, 2013 , Blogger Novak Jim said...

Wonderful suggestion! These are really gainful for all of those people who have acne and want to solve this problem rapidly.
back pain and neck pain

 
At September 29, 2013 , Blogger SimplePromise Photography said...

Great video ! Fantastic... :)

http://simplepromise-simplepromise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/summer-2013-part-1.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Onna's Little Blog: Top Tips for Clearing Acne

Top Tips for Clearing Acne


There are two things that make me more self-conscious than anything else, weight gain and bad skin. When I'm feeling self-conscious everything seems more challenging so I work hard to keep my skin clear. I'm not promising this post will be anything groundbreaking, and a lot of tips were learnt from the queen of skincare herself, Caroline Hirons, but nevertheless I promised I'd share this with you guys. I haven't got around to filming the video version yet but that is coming soon. So here it goes, my top tips for keeping acne at bay.

Over-clean everything but your skin
I like to keep everything clean to prevent bacteria contamination on my skin. I wash things as often as I can, usually once a week. This includes; my brushes, hands (obviously multiple times a day), pillows and bedsheets, hair, sunglasses, iPhone, flannels (I use a fresh one daily), towels and anything else which I may come into contact with. Keeping hand sanitiser on you is great not only for your hands, but you can use a little with a tissue to clean your phone and sunglasses. I also hate washing my hair daily so whenever I'm working from home or lounging around the house I tie it up off my face to prevent the oils from my hair clogging my pores. 

It's what's on the inside that counts
What you eat has a massive effect on your skin. Fish oils work as an anti-imflamatory (a tip learnt from Caroline) so I take supplements everyday. I also try to include lots of salmon and tuna into my diet. Diets high in sugar can also worsen breakouts so trying not to eat lots of fast-food and processed meals. To summarise; eat your fish, eat your veggies and try to avoid macdonalds. 

Skipping dairy
I don't have anything against dairy, and if you don't have any kind of intolerance to it and you are not vegan there is not reason not to incorporate healthy dairy options like semi-skimmed milk and greek yoghurt into your diet. However, if you are struggling with acne and breakouts it is worth skipping dairy for two weeks as it can be a big cause of acne. If it makes a difference, that probably means dairy is causing you to break out. My favourite milk substitute is almond milk which I drink all the time at home, but if I'm out at coffee shop I'll drink soy milk. 

Get your 40 winks
During sleep is when your body recovers and heals itself. In order for you skin to heel  you need to be not only getting enough sleep but getting a good quality of sleep. Good sleep can also reduce stress which will help with stress-induced hormonal break outs. To get a good nips kip, make sure your bed is comfortable and your room is well ventilated and dark, avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening, shut off laptops before bed and if all else fails try supplements like valerian root or magnesium (a tip from reallyree).

Don't overuse products
I see so many people with problem skin using countless alcohol toners and salicylic acid serums and changing their cleanser every couple of weeks purely because it hasn't magically cured their acne. For many skincare products, your skin needs to get used to them being on your skin and breakouts can occur and constantly changing your skincare will only irritate your skin further. I like to find a routine that works for me and stick to it, without using too many products or fussing over my skin. Lots of products tends to break me out further. 

Hope you've found some of these tips useful, more to come in the video. 

Onna. 

Labels: ,

Onna's Little Blog: Top Tips for Clearing Acne

Top Tips for Clearing Acne


There are two things that make me more self-conscious than anything else, weight gain and bad skin. When I'm feeling self-conscious everything seems more challenging so I work hard to keep my skin clear. I'm not promising this post will be anything groundbreaking, and a lot of tips were learnt from the queen of skincare herself, Caroline Hirons, but nevertheless I promised I'd share this with you guys. I haven't got around to filming the video version yet but that is coming soon. So here it goes, my top tips for keeping acne at bay.

Over-clean everything but your skin
I like to keep everything clean to prevent bacteria contamination on my skin. I wash things as often as I can, usually once a week. This includes; my brushes, hands (obviously multiple times a day), pillows and bedsheets, hair, sunglasses, iPhone, flannels (I use a fresh one daily), towels and anything else which I may come into contact with. Keeping hand sanitiser on you is great not only for your hands, but you can use a little with a tissue to clean your phone and sunglasses. I also hate washing my hair daily so whenever I'm working from home or lounging around the house I tie it up off my face to prevent the oils from my hair clogging my pores. 

It's what's on the inside that counts
What you eat has a massive effect on your skin. Fish oils work as an anti-imflamatory (a tip learnt from Caroline) so I take supplements everyday. I also try to include lots of salmon and tuna into my diet. Diets high in sugar can also worsen breakouts so trying not to eat lots of fast-food and processed meals. To summarise; eat your fish, eat your veggies and try to avoid macdonalds. 

Skipping dairy
I don't have anything against dairy, and if you don't have any kind of intolerance to it and you are not vegan there is not reason not to incorporate healthy dairy options like semi-skimmed milk and greek yoghurt into your diet. However, if you are struggling with acne and breakouts it is worth skipping dairy for two weeks as it can be a big cause of acne. If it makes a difference, that probably means dairy is causing you to break out. My favourite milk substitute is almond milk which I drink all the time at home, but if I'm out at coffee shop I'll drink soy milk. 

Get your 40 winks
During sleep is when your body recovers and heals itself. In order for you skin to heel  you need to be not only getting enough sleep but getting a good quality of sleep. Good sleep can also reduce stress which will help with stress-induced hormonal break outs. To get a good nips kip, make sure your bed is comfortable and your room is well ventilated and dark, avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening, shut off laptops before bed and if all else fails try supplements like valerian root or magnesium (a tip from reallyree).

Don't overuse products
I see so many people with problem skin using countless alcohol toners and salicylic acid serums and changing their cleanser every couple of weeks purely because it hasn't magically cured their acne. For many skincare products, your skin needs to get used to them being on your skin and breakouts can occur and constantly changing your skincare will only irritate your skin further. I like to find a routine that works for me and stick to it, without using too many products or fussing over my skin. Lots of products tends to break me out further. 

Hope you've found some of these tips useful, more to come in the video. 

Onna. 

Labels: ,